Monday, January 30, 2012

Fear in Evaluation

Tomorrow I will be video taped and observed during my nuclear disarmament lesson with my mock UN class of sophomores.  I know that in order for me to be a better more efficient teacher I need to be evaluated and open my door to observers, but why is it so scary?  I haven't been video-taped teaching since my FIRST lesson in undergrad.  It was horrible, I spent the whole time touching my hand to my stomach and repeating the words "Um, okay" and "Um, good."

I accept that I'm not a great teacher by any means.  Somedays I do really impressive things in my room and somedays I fail completely.  Most of the time I feel like I'm barely treading water, especially after my son was born and I found my energy level zapped in half.  But I want to be better and I know I can be better so this scary step of having others critique me is important.  It will guarantee improvement.  Anyway, after I have it done I will post that video on my blog for you to observe as well.  One of my favorite mottos is OWN IT good, bad, and ugly so I might as well start living by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment