Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Man behind star of ’S#*& Girls Say’

Man behind star of ’S#*& Girls Say’

Rock Center is one of my favorite resources for the classroom.  Last week they did a story on the popular YouTube clips "S#*& Girls Say".  I found the clips funny and somewhat related to my Sociology class.  The issue is how do you use clips like this in your curriculum.  Should you use clips like this?  The dialogue is clean in the video, but the title isn't.  On one hand I know this would be a great attention getter.  It is funny and students will like it's edgy appeal, but on the other hand there is that "S#*&" word.

Well, I ended up going for it and using the clips in my class.  My students didn't say much about the word, but LOVED the clips and we were able to start a conversation about gender stereotypes.

How do we censor these forms of social media?  Do we censor them since there really is no censor when students are out there on their own?  Or is that our responsibility?

2 comments:

  1. I was just sent earlier this week an article that I believe was from the Chronicle of Higher Education (although now I can't find it, so it could have been from another higher education magazine) discussing cursing and the very popular book, Go the F*$% to Sleep. The author's general point was cursing isn't intrinsically bad, "it's just what you say when you stub your toe on the coffee table." I found I agreed with a lot of her points and enforced for me that cursing, when used sensibly, has a place. I think in a situation like this, censoring isn't necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie's response is filled with more wisdom than I have. I merely was going to say, do you really expect concrete answers to your final questions. Those are tough ones.

    ReplyDelete